Watson Realty Corp. Realtors®

(912) 552-0005

Local Insurance

Local Lenders:

When looking for an insurance company there are many things to consider.  Price of policy is not the only question you should ask.

  • Flood Insurance may not be required in all locations in the area.  However, we are surrounded by water and the houses that flooded in the latest hurricane were not in a flood zone.  I strongly suggest that you obtain flood insurance.
  • Your policy will have a higher deductible for wind/hail damage.  This means during a hurricane your deductible will be higher.   Know what your deductible is for different situations.
  • Roof depreciation:  Your policy may have an exclusion for roof damage or depreciation schedule.  The insurance will pay less for an older roof than a new roof.
  • Sewage Rider:  many policies do not pay for sewage backup into your home unless you have the sewage rider.
  • Your neighbors tree falls on your house or property it is your responsibility?
  • Most important, READ your policy.  Ask questions before you need to use the policy.  

This is a list of a few local insurance agencies to help you in your slection of insurance.  Often a local insurance agent understand the area and can provide you with excellent service and rates.  This is their home and they understand it better than someone online.


Dean Schuepbach
4445 Hwy 40 E
St Marys, GA 31558
Office: 912-882-5557
Chris Barlow
Beverly Barlow
2475 Village Dr, Suite 109
Kingsland, GA 31548
Brooks Joiner
1951 Commerce Dr Ste B
Kingsland, GA 31548
Walter "Joss" Jossyln
100 Spyglass
Kingland, GA  31548
Chris Lamb
87 B Hawthorn Ln.
St Marys, GA 31558
Office: 912-882-5656
Jane Brown
2475 Village Drive
Suite 111
Kingsland, GA 31548
Office: 912-882-5454
Fax: 912-882-7825
Kevin Lang
1100 Shadowlawn Drive
St Marys, GA 31558
Office: 912-882-7144
Fax: 912-882-6729

Flood zones and Flood Insurance

Camden County is surrounded by water.   All of Camden County is in a Flood Zone of some type.  Your lender may not require flood insurance for all zones.  I highly recommend Flood Insurance if you live in Camden County.  Home Owners Insurance will not pay for damage to your home from rising water.  If you do not have Flood Insurance you will pay for all repairs out of pocket.  If your home is NOT in a flood zone lowest living area is above flood level then flood insurance premiums will be less expensive.  Mine is $450 a year, well worth the peace of mind.


  • Base Flood Elevation (BFE).  The BFE the number of feet that flood water is anticipated at a 1% chance of occurrence in any given year.   If the BFE is 10 feet then there is an 1% chance flood water can reach 10 feet.  If you home is over 10 feet elevation then the chances for flood waters reaching your home is less than 1%. 
  • Freeboard is the number of feet above BFE that is requires by state and local code for the lowest living area in a home.  Camden County changed their freeboard to 3 feet in 2017.  This means the lowest level of a home built has to be at least 3 feet above BFE.
  • Lowest Living Area in a home is the lowest area in the home that is living space.  Not the garage or porch, but living space.  Living room, bedroom etc.  If you finish the garage or enclose a porch:  sheetrock, paint, HVAC etc then it is considered living space.
  • Flood Zones “V” or starting with “A” requires flood insurance by most lenders.  Insurance rates are based on the lowest living area.  You home or lowest living area may be above BFE due to the number or steps up to the home and often builders bring in fill dirt to raise the area where the home is build.  This means you could be in a zone requiring flood insurance but the lowest living area is higher than BFE.  In this case your rates will be less expensive; often the same rate as if you were in a different flood zone. 

V Zones

Special Flood Hazard Areas. V zones generally include the first row of beachfront properties. The hazards in these areas are increased because of wave velocity - hence the V designation. Flood insurance is mandatory in V zone areas. 

A Zones 

A zones are subject to rising waters and are usually near the coast, lake, river, stream or other body of water. Flood insurance is mandatory in all A zones because of the high potential of flooding.

Other Zones

  • X zones are minimal-risk areas where flood insurance is not mandatory.
  • D zones are areas that have not been studied, but where flooding is possible.

Finding Your Zone Information

There are several ways to find out which zone applies to you. You can determine your risk online by visiting floodsmart.gov. You can also go to your town hall or city hall, where employees responsible for issuing building permits in your area have access to flood zone maps. If you are buying a home, your Realtor® and your insurance agent should be able to help you. Also, you can view your flood map by visiting the FEMA Map Service Center website at http://msc.fema.gov or by calling (800) 358-9616.



Like my facebook page  ---- https://www.facebook.com/JackieFryeREALTOR/

Jackie Frye
REALTOR®  Associate Broker
Watson Realty Corp., REALTORS
6250 Highway 40 E.
St Marys, GA
License #356376
(912) -510-4468  direct
Cell 912-552-0005
Fax 912-882-1816

Furnishing of any names of vendors provided by Broker or Broker’s Affiliated Licensee is done as a ministerial act and only as a courtesy to the undersigned and does not in any way constitute any warranty or representation as to the quality of the vendors, their services or subsequent reports.  The acceptance of this list acknowledges that they had the option to select any vendor of their choice and that the Broker is not responsible for any guarantees, representations, or warranties of the selected vendors they choose.  The Client/Customer releases the Broker and the Broker’s Affiliate Licensee from any liability or claim arising out of or in connection with the services of the vendor.